Finding a time

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
scratchet

Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:54 pm  

Hi wondered if I could get some advice on how to find a good time of day to meditate.

Before the arrival of my daughter I easily managed to find at least 20 mins every day and I really saw the benefit. I achieved this by making sure I practiced at the same time every day. This seems to be the best approach for me, as it seems to serve as a reminder, if you know what I mean.

But now I can't really guarantee to get that regular slot and although there are other times of the day available, they are not regular and as a result I normally forget or if I leave it too late in the day then I'm simply too tired.

I'm sure others must have this problem and would like hear any possible ideas or solutions thanks.

Vixine

Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:02 pm  

I did have this problem for quite a while after having my son. You may have to for a while give up the idea of doing it at exactly the same time, but one good idea is to base it on your child's schedule... for example I'm guessing you are talking about a new baby, you could decide that you will meditate right after the baby goes to sleep for the first nap in the morning, before doing anything else like cleaning or whatever else you might feel like you need to do. Or same thing in the afternoon, or if you have someone that helps you in the evening - as soon as that person takes over... something like that. Giving up on the clock time a little, but still a schedule nonetheless.

My son is 3 years old and I just learned that getting up at 5am is what works for me. It is early but that is the only time I know about 95% that I will not be interrupted. It's tough with kids you just have to be a little flexible.

piedwagtail91
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 3-2011

Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:23 pm  

my teacher practices at 5.30am, then gets the kids up.
i adapted that principle as i don't sleep too well.
i practice first thing.
there are too many excuses during the day, even when time is available.
i practice last thing at night as well, again it's part of my routine.

scratchet

Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:39 pm  

She is 18 months, and when she was newborn in some ways it was easier because like you say I could practice during her first nap.

Will consider getting up early but as she still wakes up in the night, I think that might be a bit too much at the moment.

paulpsych

Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:33 pm  

I work shifts - including nights - so finding a regular time is impossible for me ;)

Gareth
Site Admin

Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:39 pm  

As soon as my alarm goes off in the morning. I wake up and immediately meditate. If the boys get up, then i just make them a part of the meditation as best I can. I try to give them 100% of my attention. Other times they put the TV on, and I put my headphones on - I'd rather meditate to some nice music than the sound of kids TV. The best way about practising like this is that the demands of the day can't take over and remove my meditation time.

FeeHutch
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Mar 2012

Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:06 am  

I've been doing mindful contemplation about my practice and life in general. After Christmas I am going to start setting my alarm earlier so I can meditate before the rest of the house wakes up. I also want to reintroduce an evening session as I'm having more issues than usual with my sleep.

I've had a hard few months in part because my practice has been neglected. So rather than rushing back in to attain something, some sort of mindfulness merit perhaps? I'm taking the time to think with my head and listen with my heart. I've realised a few things that do suck away a huge amount of my time with no real benefit. Not rushing and just being again is showing me lots of potential time :)
“Being mindful means that we take in the present moment as it is rather than as we would like it to be.”
Mark Williams

http://adlibbed.blogspot.co.uk/p/mindfulness-me-enjoy-silence.html
Find me on twitter - @feehutch

piedwagtail91
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 3-2011

Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:18 am  

I've just finished reading ' the power of meditation' by Sharon Salzberg .a month long program that builds slowly through mindfulness, self compassion and loving kindness, she says a evening practice is a good idea of you struggle to get off to sleep. I've found that to be true,though my own practice is a bit of a mongrel rather than just mindfulness!
To put a twist on your post, " think with your heart and listen with your head? :)
good luck
mock

Ella

Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:40 pm  

I do not pracise at the same time every day, I prefer choosing the time to practise according to my current agenda.
Real generosity toward the future consists in giving all to the present. (Albert Camus)

scratchet

Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:56 am  

hi all, thanks for your feedback. Also for anyone interested I'm currently reading mindful parenting by jon kabat zinn and one of the chapters deals with this problem. thanks again.

•   Information