FAQs

Everything related to our Everyday Mindfulness community.
Gareth
Site Admin

Mon May 09, 2016 9:33 am  

A topic kicking off the debate about frequently asked questions. When the list is finalised, we'll put it up on the site somewhere.

I'll kick it off:
1. What if I get physical discomfort/an itch during meditation. What do I do?
A little discomfort is not necessarily a bad thing. Learning how to be with it helps us in our day-to-day lives. If the discomfort is getting painful then allow the body to move - in meditation we are not trying to punish ourselves. If it's not painful, then try watching it for a while - maybe it will go away of it's own accord.

2. Do I need a teacher to learn about mindfulness or can I learn it from a book?
Each person is different. Some find they are able to learn mindfulness from a book or an app. Others need the structure of the 8-wk course and the experience of a teacher to get a grounding in the practice.

3. How do we handle persistent and repetitive thought patterns?
Answer needed.

4. If I start a mindfulness practice, is it necessary to meditate every day?
Answer needed.

Let me know if you agree with this as an FAQ. I'll keep editing this post as we go along to get towards a final list of 10 - 20 questions,

Happy Buddha
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 1989

Mon May 09, 2016 4:48 pm  

I think it is a good question and one I get asked quite often.

My response would be some thing like - it is the mind that fidgets and the body which moves. As we practice we get to know the difference between moving and fidgeting. If the discomfort is getting painful then allow the body to move, but a little discomfort is not a bad thing. If it is an itch then try staying still for three breaths before deciding what to do. A lot can happen in three breaths in meditation.
Suryacitta is mindfulness teacher and author
He has been practising since 1989.
He runs regular webinars FREE for people who cannot attend classes in person
https://app.webinarjam.net/register/36719/4a30c901be
http://www.mindfulnesscic.co.uk

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Mon May 09, 2016 6:09 pm  

This is such a great idea and has hit the ground running with Happy's wise reply.
ONe suggestion for the FAQ is:
Do I need a teacher to learn about mindfulness or can I learn it from a book?
Cheers,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Happyogababe
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 2008

Tue May 10, 2016 9:59 am  

I think that's a question that belongs in the FAQs as it's definitely something that new practitioners experience and puzzle about. I like Happy Buddha's reply and JonW's suggestion is good too :)
'You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf' Jon Kabat Zinn

Happyogababe

Tue May 10, 2016 11:53 am  

One issue that hounded me (and still can do) was: what do you do about persistent thoughts/worries?

I'm liking this ;)

JonW
Team Member

Tue May 10, 2016 6:32 pm  

Today, back in my tent, I read that there is a saying in India that, if you miss meditation just one day, it takes seven mornings to make it up.
Whatever 'make it up' means when it's at home...
Anyway, my suggestion for a FAQ question is: if I take up mindfulness practice, do I have to meditate every day?
Cheers,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Peter
Site Admin
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Aug 2013

Wed May 11, 2016 9:44 am  

Hi guys, I don't want to be a sour plum, but I feel this isn't the most accurate approach to create a FAQ. When I suggested the FAQ, I had something different in mind. Might be me being the technical guy, but my thinking was we already have a huge database of questions right here in the forums. In my opinion the questions aren't really up for debate; the logical approach, to me at least, would be statistically determine the questions that are asked most often.
Peter

JonW
Team Member

Wed May 11, 2016 12:39 pm  

Good point, Peter. Where do we go from here?
JW

Happyogababe

Wed May 11, 2016 12:45 pm  

@Peter wrote:Hi guys, I don't want to be a sour plum, but I feel this isn't the most accurate approach to create a FAQ. When I suggested the FAQ, I had something different in mind. Might be me being the technical guy, but my thinking was we already have a huge database of questions right here in the forums. In my opinion the questions aren't really up for debate; the logical approach, to me at least, would be statistically determine the questions that are asked most often.
Peter

I don't think that anyone would see you as a sour plum :) I shall watch with interest, my strengths are not with statistics :D

•   Information