Mindfulness must be doing something to me, I've ditched TV

Come along and discuss anything you want. Talk about what inspires you, or talk about the weather.
mybubble
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Feb 2016

Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:47 pm  

I always thought of television as my way of relaxing, I can turn it on to zombie out. After staring at computer screens all day I found reading a great strain on the eyes and TV just sent me into a daydream, perfect.

However I meditate in the mornings and just needed more time in my day to try yoga and other perhaps guided meditations. Hiding the TV behind a cloth didn't work so unwired the lot and put in another room. I can no longer watch on impulse.

So, one week and no TV (except for last episode of Game of Thrones) and I am impressed.

..I feel so much more relaxed as if I've got nowhere to get to and no need to rush to sit on the sofa and catch the news.
..the silence is bliss
..instead of going to bed at 11, falling asleep by 1, I have gone to bed and to sleep by 10 a few times
..better concentration at work with a good sleep
..I seem able to read now
..not done any yoga or guided meditations, but plenty of just sitting, tuning into silence.
..no more dinners in front of TV, sit and talk instead.
..calling people more often now.

I miss some programs, but I can watch the news by steaming on my phone and can be highly selective on you tube.

Overall it's this incredible feeling I have absolutely nothing I need to do now and yoga can wait until tomorrow, I am busy doing nothing (well except typing this)
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man. (Heraclitus)

Peter
Site Admin
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Aug 2013

Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:36 am  

I'm impressed, MyBubble! Very nice!
Now, you only need to ditch the phone ;)
Peter

Gareth
Site Admin

Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:20 am  

I never used to watch a great deal of TV anyway, but without question, mindfulness has reduced that amount even further. Especially the news; I have reduced my news intake dramatically. Now, I actively avoid it throughout the day and just watch one bulletin at night. It's mostly bad news anyway. I've come to learn that everything that goes in has an effect on our mental wellbeing.

Peter
Site Admin

Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:25 am  

Gareth wrote:Especially the news; I have reduced my news intake dramatically. Now, I actively avoid it throughout the day and just watch one bulletin at night. It's mostly bad news anyway. I've come to learn that everything that goes in has an effect on our mental wellbeing.

Totally agree! I do that too.

MindfulnessJar

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:18 pm  

That's wonderful Mybubble.

It is amazing how long and peaceful evenings can be without TV.

mybubble

Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:59 pm  

Thank you. I must admit to have always been a TV junkie, I can watch the news channels for a couple of hours never coming away that happy. I feel much better now, it took a year of sitting in front of the TV thinking I don't like this but always giving in.

Can't give up the phone, a step way too far!
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man. (Heraclitus)

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:37 am  

I could have done with a telly last night in order to watch the mighty Welsh trounce the Belgians but, in general, I'm happy living without one. It amuses me when people tell me they have no time for meditation and then proceed to bang on about all the TV shows they watched the previous night.
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Peter
Site Admin

Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:55 am  

I agree, it's probably best to watch little TV, but I enjoy it, and watch it pretty mindful. I'm often very aware, of myself, my surroundings, and the content, when watching TV.
Peter

Happyogababe
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 2008

Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:31 am  

The TV is rarely on before 9pm in our house. It just hasn't got much appeal, unless it's something that is worth watching (Jon, Wales was enjoyed very much :) ).

Gareth, I am the same regarding the news and it makes for a much happier life :)
'You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf' Jon Kabat Zinn

mybubble

Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:45 pm  

I think some TV is awesome and we are so fortunate to view. For instance nature or scenic documentaries especially in HD.

I tried to watch mindfully by imagining I was looking through a hole, through the cameraman's eyes as he/she films as if I was there.

When will I ever get the opportunity to visit all these exotic wild places without TV. I am glad to witness it indirectly. Although it does create want. I want to see it myself.

Unfortunately I have no self control to just watch this, I land up watching all the rubbish too. I do intend to watch nature and other documentaries by streaming occasionally. At least it's not so easy to channel flick and get sucked up again.

•   Information