Depression..

Come along and discuss anything you want. Talk about what inspires you, or talk about the weather.
CraigJ123
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 2017

Tue May 19, 2020 9:24 am  

When my partner uses CBD, it seems to help ease her depression a lot. I prefer and recommend exercise as it's cheaper!

BronteFan
Practice Mindfulness Since: 11 Dec 2018

Tue May 19, 2020 11:08 pm  

CraigJ123 wrote:When my partner uses CBD, it seems to help ease her depression a lot. I prefer and recommend exercise as it's cheaper!

For depression, I prefer & recommend art, creative writing, music & meditation as it's cheaper & has no nasty side-effects. It makes you relax & feel great.

When you're really feeling down.
There's no need to wear a frown.
There's always something you can do
To stop you feeling "Oh so blue".
You can listen to music & sing along.
It doesn't matter what's gone wrong.
There's a song for every mood.
You can eat your comfort food.
Painting makes you feel so good.
Meditation as well if you do it as often as you should.
Expressing yourself in writing helps too.
Writing stories which you wish were true.
It's good to pretend you're someone else somewhere else for a short time.
It also helps to write a story, song or a rhyme.
Let your creativity run free.
You can be who you want to be.
You can do what you want to do.
The only 1 you have to please is you.

CraigJ123

Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:10 pm  

I've never really been into poetry,
but I might give it a go,
while I get round to shaving my goetee,
and smarten up for the show!

BronteFan

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:23 pm  

I want to like that but we don't have a like button. I think that's very good & you should keep writing.

CraigJ123

Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:47 pm  

BronteFan

Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:48 pm  

akki7575 wrote:hii
I think, the best way to fight depression is to begin a sport or meditation is source of hapiness.

Hi!

They are indeed helpful for overcoming depression but I think you've missed music. Music is wonderful. It really cheers me up especially when I'm singing. Well, I guess if you want to put it that way I'm doing exercise. It's just that I'm doing vocal exercise rather than physical. Lol.

Welcome!

the.mindful.lens
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 2016

Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:13 pm  

Hi, I think that listening to music is a great help in using mindfulness for reducing the power of depression over your thinking. It is important to REALLY concentrate on the music hard. background music doesn't do it. I also think that activities that involve serious concentration can be really useful in training the mind to stop falling back to what makes you depressed in the first place. In this case, and I think most cases it is the constant repetition of the mind going over and over negative events from the past ( or worry about things that "might" happen in the future.) That is why there concentration on the present is so important.

As far as music is concerned I have found that it can be even more useful if you try to create some music as a mindful activity. I have written an article on this on my own website that suggests using a free Digital Audio Workshop ( DAW) such as Bandlab ( available on line and so open to any computer with an internet connection. It couldn't be easier and there are lots of really good videos on You Tube to tutor you.

After all if it is free why not give it a try ?

The link to my website article is : themindfullens.wixsite.com/website/post/making-mindful-music

Peter

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:01 am  

Great post.
Thanks Peter.
I'm not really sure why music is not used more on mindfulness courses. As an object of awareness, it's as valid as breath, body sensations etc.
When I use music in my teaching, I gently explain to participants that there is a big difference between listening to music and meditating to music. When we listen to music, there may be a tendency for the mind to drift off - thinking of the first time we heard that song, who we were dating at the time, and so on. Music is very evocative in that way. When we meditate to music, we notice that the mind has drifted off and we return, non-judgmentally, to the raw sensation of the sound. Or we might bring out focus to a certain aspect of the music - the bass, the drums etc. Either way, we use the sound as an anchor.
All best,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

BronteFan

Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:40 pm  

Thank you very much, guys.

I couldn't use music in my meditation practice though because of the way I listen to music which is a habit I can't get out of now.

As I got taught to sing as a young girl & have always had to sing I learnt to listen to music as a singer which means when I'm listening to music I ascertain what the song is, where I come in, what the words are, what vocal tone I need to use & then I start singing. I just can't stop myself from singing.

Ann.

the.mindful.lens
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 2016

Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:26 pm  

Oh Ann, if only I had a voice !!!!!!!! I am the one in any choir who doesn't come in at any point for fear of being told I am out of tune.... Whatever that might mean.

Envy abounds . LOL

Peter

•   Information