Depression..

Come along and discuss anything you want. Talk about what inspires you, or talk about the weather.
Chanum09
Practice Mindfulness Since: 30 Sep 1991

Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:32 am  

I don't know if i am the only one who experiencing depression because of my grades in school. I am the eldest in the family and i failed them because I did not make it on my graduation day. I have 2 failed subjects. And my mom was very disappointed in me, that's why i take it seriously i did not come out in my room for how many weeks, i don't want to talk to anyone, i did not eat also. My mind was floating and i cant think clearly. But my friend recommends me to use CBD for me to cure this depression. And as of now, i see the changes in myself and it really helps. And i read this article greenmed io/blog/got-seasonal-depression-try-cannabis/ that it really helps in any kinds of illnesses.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:57 am  

Cannabis helps in any kinds of illnesses?
Absolute nonsense.
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Peter
Site Admin
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Aug 2013

Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:21 am  

I agree with Jon.

I even think a warning is appropriate here. I would advise against (especially structural use of) any substance that isn't needed naturally by the human body. It can have very serious, very unpredictable, consequences.

LaveraStewart
Practice Mindfulness Since: 06 May 1998

Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:09 pm  

Hi.
I think, the best way to fight depression is to begin a sport or yoga. When I was 22, my doctor said that i am too grumpy and recomended me to do some yoga. My life has changed after it. My depression went away, so I recomend you to start yoga.

BronteFan
Practice Mindfulness Since: 11 Dec 2018

Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:19 pm  

Hi!

Physical activity can help with depression but it doesn't work for everyone. (I used to enjoy swimming & found that relaxing but since I needed to wear spectacles all the time I can't do it anymore as I see stripey people if I take them off so I can swim. I can't dance which is a shame as music makes me feel better.) I've found music helps a great deal especially if I'm singing along to it. If I write my own song it's even better because I can express how I really feel too. People normally don't mind you expressing negative feelings if you do it nicely & song is a good way of doing this as is writing poetry. Arts & crafts are also good ways of making yourself feel better as is meditation. I hope some of this helps. What works for 1 person doesn't always work for others though.
Let your creativity run free.
You can be who you want to be.
You can do what you want to do.
The only 1 you have to please is you.

Nic
Practice Mindfulness Since: 18 Sep 2019

Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:19 pm  

There is research out there that the rise of depression might be linked to cannabis use (just trying to remember where I read it), so using for depression could be similar to alcohol, might give short term relief but not really useful to address the depression.

Surely mindfulness is about using the body and mind without consuming/imbibing anything. Exercise can help but for the depressed person it's getting themselves to exercise and maintain it enough to have an effect.

JonW
Team Member

Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:29 am  

'Surely mindfulness is about using the body and mind without consuming/imbibing anything.'

I'm not sure it needs to be an absolute.
I enjoy a drink from time to time but my heavy drinking came to an end when I began my mindfulness practice. It just naturally fell away. Quickly I realised that, a/ It was next to impossible to meditate on a hangover, and b/ I was able to be mindful whenever I felt the urge to uncork a bottle of wine at 6pm - I learnt to simply be with the urge without giving in to it.
Gradually, drinking became an occasional pastime, rather than a daily habit.
Cheers!
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Gareth
Site Admin

Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:59 pm  

Cannabis helps my illness. But in a physical sense. I wouldn't recommend it if you are trying to work with the mind.

Good luck with everything!

akki7575
Practice Mindfulness Since: 13 Jan 2020

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:05 pm  

hii
I think, the best way to fight depression is to begin a sport or meditation is source of hapiness.

JonW
Team Member

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:36 pm  

Yes. Well said akki7575.
Welcome to the forum.

•   Information