Mindfulness and Politics

Come along and discuss anything you want. Talk about what inspires you, or talk about the weather.
MindfulnessRVA
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Jan 1996

Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:06 am  

I have read many things about Mindfulness and politics this election cycle. I am very perplexed by what I read and so I am sharing a blog i wrote to see what feedback people have. Here is the link -

https://rvawell.blogspot.com/2017/01/mi ... sited.html

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:46 am  

'These writings are very unfortunate because the miss the deeper experience of equanimity and calmness that comes from experiencing the bitterness of the election cycle without trying to change or improve it. Mindfulness is about awareness. It has no purpose or goal, and when we make it into one we have created another political system to fight over. You will only find suffering in this direction!'

That's an interesting observation. Ultimately though, one has to decide who to vote for and that involves making judgments on the relative merits of the candidates. Mindfulness is as much about wise action as it is about acceptance of what is.
Cheers,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

MindfulnessRVA

Wed May 17, 2017 12:18 pm  

Jon. The disagreement is that I do not think that one "ultimately has to decide". Though I would argue against myself that not voting is a decision b/c it has a consequence. The point I am trying to make is a hard distinction between Mindfulness practice (observation only) and actions. I disagree that Mindfulness is about "wise action" b/c observation suggests that one person's wise action is another persons stupidity. Once Mindfulness is moved out of observation only, it looses significant potency to observe. Just like if I am trying to prove a point, I have stopped observing and am in proving, believing, self-confirming mode. Again (not that this is bad) but there needs to be the distinction in order to observe very deeply to see how the concept of "wisdom" is arising.

JonW
Team Member

Wed May 17, 2017 3:26 pm  

'I disagree that Mindfulness is about "wise action" b/c observation suggests that one person's wise action is another persons stupidity.'

Yes, nobody is suggesting that there is just one kind of wise action. That's fairly obvious. When we notice what is happening in the moment, it is very possible that we are able to respond wisely rather than react impulsively to outside stimuli (other people, stressful situations etc.) We give ourselves the possibility of greater freedom and choice. That is one of the main planks of mindfulness. Pretty basic stuff.

'Once Mindfulness is moved out of observation only, it looses significant potency to observe.'

With respect I have no idea what that means.
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

monkey

Fri May 19, 2017 1:22 pm  

I think that it's possible to tie yourself in knots trying trying trying to be super duper deeply mindful and, in the process, remove yourself entirely from the process of your own life and social connectedness. I can second guess myself into a position of complete stasis if I observe too intently.

For me the whole point of mindfulness is wise action, is about enabling us to live in the world in a more open, active, generous, connected, grounded way. So mindfulness in everyday life is a light touch, pause, 'what is here?' to get some insight into one's state before acting reactively without conscious awareness of one's motivations.

But our actions are always necessarily partial, and are always imperfect. We aren't omniscient, all we can do is try to develop what awareness is possible in any given moment, and to remain committed to that. I think that acceptance of that and a desire to try to move forward wisely and openly with the knowledge that you might make a mistake but that that is OK is another part of the practice.
everybody just bounce

JonW
Team Member

Fri May 19, 2017 2:35 pm  

'For me the whole point of mindfulness is wise action, is about enabling us to live in the world in a more open, active, generous, connected, grounded way.'

Perfectly put, squire.

MindfulnessRVA

Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:02 am  

Thank you for your observations. I think I agree. Regarding John's "Once Mindfulness is moved out of observation only, it looses significant potency to observe". This was just an overly complex way of saying when you are not in being mode you are in doing mode.

The real point of the blog wasn't even about politics. The point was about the constant autonomous nature of thought reinforcing itself. How we self-confirm our beliefs so rapidly that we don't question them often. It is pointing to a "deeper" (for lack of better word) towards the teaching of Emptiness. That wise action is a term that has no true meaning except in the context of a belief system and how programmed my human experience is to shield me from realizing I am a self-confirming, bias-making machine.

Prior to paralyzing, this is tremendously helpful because I do not get rattled as much b/c every shake that comes a long is just banging up against another bias I may or may have not known was there. Often times, what I thought was a decision that needed to be made was better left without action.

Again, thank you for your thoughts.

monkey

Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:32 pm  

MindfulnessRVA wrote: Often times, what I thought was a decision that needed to be made was better left without action.

Yes, me too! My brain often presents a thought as something that needs solving, but very often there's nothing to 'do', and it just passes by itself. I think realising this was a great moment for me, 'is there an action or decision to be taken here?' If not, just let that pass on by... :)
everybody just bounce

mbsr-polska
Practice Mindfulness Since: 10 May 2007

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:10 pm  

JonW wrote:'For me the whole point of mindfulness is wise action, is about enabling us to live in the world in a more open, active, generous, connected, grounded way.'

great saying, worth to remember :)

ethicallifestore
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 0-2012

Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:54 pm  

monkey wrote:
MindfulnessRVA wrote: Often times, what I thought was a decision that needed to be made was better left without action.

Yes, me too! My brain often presents a thought as something that needs solving, but very often there's nothing to 'do', and it just passes by itself. I think realising this was a great moment for me, 'is there an action or decision to be taken here?' If not, just let that pass on by... :)

I like this quote. It is a good method of shooing away useless thoughts.

•   Information