stomach burning

Please post your mindfulness stories here and your story might also feature on our blog (with your permission). You can also introduce yourself here. We want to create a library of mindful journeys and experiences.
Vincent Guedes
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 0-1997

Wed May 15, 2019 4:09 pm  

ive practised mindfulness for 22 years. My Vipassana regular practise is fine, however I have a real problem with practising everyday mindfulness. Whenever I make a conscious effort to be mindful during the day my stomach burns with an acidic feeling. I have OCD, GAD and Dysthymia so I don't know if it has something to do with that. Ive tried being mindful of the feeling and exploring it but after two weeks of constant pain I stopped. As it is now, I practise sporadically during the day until it gets unbearable and I stop and go back to my usual style of discursive thinking and living just tuning in and out to mindfulness as and when I can. Its a shame because Mindfulness during daily activities definitely helps me mentally but I just cant maintain it because of the pain

Any advice or comments would be gratefully recieved

Peter
Site Admin
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Aug 2013

Fri May 17, 2019 2:11 pm  

Hi Vincent,

"My Vipassana regular practise is fine, however I have a real problem with practising everyday mindfulness. "

Could you explain how these practices differ?

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Fri May 17, 2019 3:07 pm  

Yes. Good question, Peter.
Also, I was wondering why this stomach condition would worsen when held in awareness. I can't quite see why mindfulness is the problem here.
Thanks,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Vincent Guedes

Fri May 17, 2019 3:26 pm  

when im in a seated practise it doesn't happen. As soon as I try to become mindful during normal day to day stuff (washing up, driving, cooking etc) it occurs - sometimes instantly as soon as I start

thanks for the replys

JonW
Team Member

Sat May 18, 2019 4:20 pm  

So the burning sensation only shows up when you notice it outside of formal meditation? Or is the burning sensation always there and becomes more vivid when you bring mindfulness awareness to it?
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Vincent Guedes

Sat May 18, 2019 8:46 pm  

Yes. it seems that my mind doesn’t cope with being mindful whilst doing everyday things. Almost like it can’t cope with doing two things at the same time ie- monitoring myself at the same time as performing daily activities. If I sit and meditate on my breath I’m fine.

Ive had CBT and done a mindfulness based stress reduction course but I still have this persistent problem. Its a shame because my Psychiatric problems are helped when I’m practising mindfulness of daily activities but the pain always makes me stop.

Vincent Guedes

Sat May 18, 2019 8:51 pm  

Further to my last post- bringing awareness to the burning sensation doesn’t help it OR make it worse. It just stays there, only leaving when I forget about trying to be mindful

JonW
Team Member

Sun May 19, 2019 9:02 am  

'Yes. it seems that my mind doesn’t cope with being mindful whilst doing everyday things. Almost like it can’t cope with doing two things at the same time ie- monitoring myself at the same time as performing daily activities.'

That's an interesting way of putting it.
In my view, it's not a question of doing two things at the same time. There is no split between awareness and the activity. There is simply being aware.
Anybody else?
Jon

Vincent Guedes

Sun May 19, 2019 10:03 am  

That’s interesting. Maybe I’m overthinking the practise.

What’s the best way for me to turn off the metacognitive part? It seems as soon as I decide to become aware , there is a part of me that becomes aware of me becoming aware. It doesn’t become one whole awareness.

JonW
Team Member

Sun May 19, 2019 2:56 pm  

'What’s the best way for me to turn off the metacognitive part?'

Difficult question.
For me, the deliberate act of being mindful fell away after the first few months of practice. Being mindful became second nature to me, as natural and easy as breathing. Along with that, the self-consciousness you refer to seemed to drop away.
Would anyone else like to comment on this?
Thanks,
Jon

•   Information