Hi all

Please post your mindfulness stories here and your story might also feature on our blog (with your permission). You can also introduce yourself here. We want to create a library of mindful journeys and experiences.
Bils42

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:59 am  

I've already posted a few times on this forum but thought I'd introduce myself properly

My name is Phil, but most of my friends call me Bils and I am 46yrs old. I live in Swansea, Wales with my wife and have a 16yr old daughter from a previous relationship. My wife is an artist, Katie Allen, and I am currently working part time as her assistant. I came to mindfulness meditation 4 months ago as a part of my recovery from CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) which I have had for 4 years. The recovery program I am using is the 'Gupta Amygdala Retraining Program' and I'd recommend it to anyone who is suffering from CFS/ME.

Although I am relatively new to mindfulness I have a long background in practices that I like to call Internal Arts, so the concepts were relatively easy for me to grasp. I started with Transendental meditation in '93 which I learned while traveling in India. After returning to the UK I started learning Yang style Taijiquan and then Daoyin Yangsheng Gong with Chanquanshu school of Daoist Arts. The principle instructor for this school is Gordon Falkner in Inverness Scotland. About 8 yrs ago I started practicing Chen Hsin which is very much focused on relationship skills in a martial context and is a lot of fun to practice. A few years ago Gordon introduced me to Wudang style Taijiquan and I took to it immediately and am now practicing this style exclusively. I am also a very keen mountain biker and I must say that this was my main training priority at this time.

About 4 yrs ago I developed CFS which ultimately led me to lose my job as a primary school teacher. I continued to practice Daoyin and Taiji and I think this helped with the symptoms (I never had any problems with pain). My condition went through lots of ups and downs but the general trend was down, I had almost given up on the possibility of regaining full health again and had resigned myself to simply managing my condition. That has all changed now however as I have learned, through the Gupta Program, how to cure myself by retraining my mind. I am currently at about 80% health and am sure I will be up to around 100% by the end of the year.

A couple of weeks ago I attended a silent meditation retreat at Gaia House with Martin Aylward. This was a big eye opener for me, I was sceptical at first but by the 3rd day I was totally committed and can't wait to go on another retreat to deepen my understanding. Meditation is now my primary practice with 2 x 45min sittings (more if I can fit it in) but I know how important it is to move the body and I still practice Taijiquan and Daoyin daily. I soon hope to get back out on my bike and start working full time.
You only die once, don't waste it

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:46 am  

Hi Phil,
A warm welcome to the site.
Always happy to welcome a fellow Welshman (unless you moved there). Both me and Bio are dyed-in-the-wool Taffs.
I like your wife's art a lot, particularly the In The Moment triptych.
All best, Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Gareth
Site Admin

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:02 pm  

Hi Phil(Bils),

Great to make your aqcuaintance. I love your story. Fancy adding a pragraph or two (about how mindfulness helps you specifically) and I'll publish it as an EM blog.

Bils42

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:54 pm  

Thanks both,

Jon I've lived in Wales since I was 3 so technically I'm an immigrant but I regard myself as Welsh. Thanks for your kind comments I'll pass them on to Katie

I'll do that at some point Gareth for sure

FeeHutch
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Mar 2012

Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:18 pm  

Hi Bils
Lovely to meet you and welcome to our community. Thanks for sharing your story. I keep finding myself drawn to the idea of going on a retreat. I attended a Mindfulness taster day at the local Buddhist centre last year and enjoyed the experience greatly. The reason I haven't got any further with researching retreats is I am not sure exactly what I would be expecting the experience to provide i.e. would I be more drawn to an instructional retreat with lead sessions and teaching or a silent one. It is something I continue to ponder :)
“Being mindful means that we take in the present moment as it is rather than as we would like it to be.”
Mark Williams

http://adlibbed.blogspot.co.uk/p/mindfulness-me-enjoy-silence.html
Find me on twitter - @feehutch

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:56 pm  

Like Fee I'm mulling over the possibility of going on retreat.
My former teacher is heading a Mindfulness In Nature day next month so I've signed up for that. It involves a walk on the Downs, some poetry reading and Lord knows what else. I'll be sure to report back...
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Bils42

Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:20 pm  

FeeHutch wrote:Hi Bils
Lovely to meet you and welcome to our community. Thanks for sharing your story. I keep finding myself drawn to the idea of going on a retreat. I attended a Mindfulness taster day at the local Buddhist centre last year and enjoyed the experience greatly. The reason I haven't got any further with researching retreats is I am not sure exactly what I would be expecting the experience to provide i.e. would I be more drawn to an instructional retreat with lead sessions and teaching or a silent one. It is something I continue to ponder :)

As I see it the advantage of a silent retreat is that it enables you to really slow down and build awareness of the practice in a completely uninterrupted way. The cumalitive effect is, as I found it at least, is that you are able to enter a much deeper state of meditation than would otherwise be possible. The retreat I went on included teachings and guided meditations and I did feel very supported throughout. The silence wasn't total either as there were opportunities to speak to the teacher on a one to one basis and also opportunities to ask questions in an open session at the end of one of the meditation sessions each day. hope that helps your pondering :)

FeeHutch
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Mar 2012

Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:42 pm  

Yes that does thank you :)
“Being mindful means that we take in the present moment as it is rather than as we would like it to be.”
Mark Williams

http://adlibbed.blogspot.co.uk/p/mindfulness-me-enjoy-silence.html
Find me on twitter - @feehutch

BioSattva

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:11 am  

Hi Bils,

We have many things in common it seems. Nice to meet you.

Bio.
"Compassion – particularly for yourself – is of overwhelming importance." - Mark Williams, Mindfulness (2011), p117.
"...allow yourself to smile inwardly." - Jon Kabat-Zinn, Full Catastrophe Living (2005), p436.
Weekly Blog: http://mindfuldiscipline.blogspot.co.uk

Sazz

Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:01 pm  

Hello Bils42, and everyone.

I am Sarah, and although I've heard of mindfulness before, including when my husband's GP recommended it to him, I am only just starting to venture into practicing it following my employer circulating some information (about time too), including a link to this website.

I am very encouraged by your story, Bils42, as I suffer with an underactive thyroid which means I'm tired all the time, my husband has depression & anxiety and my brother has CFS. I'm therefore going to be sharing this site with all of them, and everyone else I can think of who might appreciate it.

Thanks to Gareth, all the moderators & everyone else involved with the site :)

•   Information