practicing mindfulness for depression

Please post your mindfulness stories here and your story might also feature on our blog (with your permission). You can also introduce yourself here. We want to create a library of mindful journeys and experiences.
CraigJ123
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 2017

Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:51 am  

I'm trying to keep my cool more when she has or is near to a breakdown. I try and recognise that it's more her mental illness and not her to try avoid escallating things which happens quite a lot.

She does like to do arts and craft stuff which does help.

Orao_22
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Nov 2018

Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:27 pm  

JonW wrote:'My partner suffers depression but whenever I suggest it to her she gets annoyed.'

Gareth has very eloquently addressed this issue before.
If someone is resistant to taking up mindfulness practice, there is little point in trying to persuade them of its worth. Just carry on with your own practice. The best advertisement for mindfulness is being mindful. Eventually, the other person might sit up and take notice. And they might not.
If we come to it, we come to it in our own time.
Cheers,
Jon

Yes, that's one of the hardest part for us; we know how much it helps us and how much it would help the person we're talking to, but if we're too insistent, they start seeing us as annoying know-it-betters at best, and as some sort of crazy cultists at worst... So, as it's been said, don't force your partner to try it, let just her show how much it has helped you and, if she's open to it, she'll try it by herself.

•   Information