Try some yoga!

Please post your mindfulness stories here and your story might also feature on our blog (with your permission). You can also introduce yourself here. We want to create a library of mindful journeys and experiences.
jan

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:05 pm  

hi all,
reading your posts about yoga.
i am rather overweight and dont think i can manage yoga. i have tried pilate, is this similar? and any good ?

piedwagtail91
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 3-2011

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:14 pm  

It doesn't matter what your weight is.yoga can be adapted to suit anyone.
my teacher is adapting poses for me every week because of my recently discovered neck problems.
There area lot of new mums in the classesi go to at the momemoment.a good teacher will help you.
Not sure about Pilates,it's not something I've looked in to.

watson2182

Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:12 am  

Thank you for all the tips about yoga! it is definitely a big help!

SydneyMeditation

Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:53 am  

Exactly.... mind and body are like two cogs in a wheel... when one relaxes the other does as well and follows.

The ability to use stretching to relax the body physically has a direct impact on the mind because of this and that's why it's fantastic.

I teach lots of different meditation methods, but the one that people have the best results with are the deep breathing, yogic breathing techniques that bring them amazing results.

Yes, it's sometimes a little harder, but the results are overwhelming for a lot of them... :)

Namaste,
Trish

Gareth
Site Admin

Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:18 pm  

Great to meet you Trish. Mindfulness and yoga are two sides of the same coin as I sometimes like to say. I hope to see you round the forum.

KernelOfWisdom

Fri May 08, 2015 1:24 am  

So glad you're liking it Gareth! I have found similar benefits. Sometimes yoga feels like a moving (and sweaty) body scan. It can also help strengthen the insular cortex and increase awareness of our "embodied mind", as you so eloquently pointed out through your example. Keep up the great stuff! And if anyone is ever looking for a fun, but decent home workout I really love the "Yoga with Adriene" channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene. She is great!
Joelle Anderson
Mindfulness Teacher, Kernel of Wisdom
Get free guided meditations, meditation tips, and lessons on mindful concepts on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/kernelofwisdom1/
Or visit website: http://kernelofwisdom.com/

littlestudent

Mon May 11, 2015 5:24 pm  

I don't practice yoga, but I try to be mindful when I am out running. It might not be the same as yoga, but it makes the run more enjoyable and complete (if that makes sense?), and I am sure it makes me a better runner.

FeeHutch
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Mar 2012

Fri May 15, 2015 10:34 am  

Hello and welcome littlestudent. I find mindfulness makes any small amount of physical activity I am able to do more complete too so I get what you mean. It makes it all the more rewarding and safer because I'm paying attention to the difference between what my mind is telling me (THIS HURTS TOO DAM MUCH) and my body (yeah it's sore but no more sore than usual, it's a different kind of sore and you can do this for a couple of minutes and then go lay down). :D
“Being mindful means that we take in the present moment as it is rather than as we would like it to be.”
Mark Williams

http://adlibbed.blogspot.co.uk/p/mindfulness-me-enjoy-silence.html
Find me on twitter - @feehutch

quirky_friend

Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:45 am  

I've got some neurological issues that affect coordination, so have been very reluctant to do anything that looks like an exercise class :)
Having said this, I really enjoyed my first mindful movement session along to the MP3 download. I found particularly useful that Mark Williams tells you if the move is an inhalation or exhalation move.
I spent about a year teaching myself 'chi running about 4 years ago, and that has translated into finding the movements of mindful walking natural...as my mind has started settling I'm using my morning walk as a mindful exercise

•   Information