Hi, I'm new here

Please post your mindfulness stories here and your story might also feature on our blog (with your permission). You can also introduce yourself here. We want to create a library of mindful journeys and experiences.
hackneyedcliche

Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:20 am  

Hello all. I'm new to this forum. I haven't really done a lot of online studies of mindfulness, or ever considered joining an online forum until now. However, I don't know if I'm exactly new to the practice.

I first discovered mindfulness about 11 years ago, by reading books on meditation. I have been an "on again, off again" practitioner, but I know I am a much easier person to be around when I am mindful. That being said, to avoid actual professional therapy for a very overly active mind, I have found that writing things out helps me relieve my pains and annoyances.

I have found that we are only human. There is nothing that is going to make life an everyday walk in the park. It's all about active practice, patience, and observance. I have a tendency to be overly critical of the world around me--holding myself to impossible standards, so self loathing as well--so mindfulness helps me cope a little better with life's impossibilities.

My favorite types of activities to bring me "down to earth" are mindful walking, mindful breathing, and as odd as it seems, mindful handwriting. For some reason, letting words flow from a pen seems very powerful to me.

Anyways, cheers!

watson2182

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:46 am  

hi there! glad you joined our ranks! hope this site will help you a lot in many ways!

jan

Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:18 am  

:D hi, i'm new here too!
just, very sadly, finished my mindfulness course, yesterday.
found this site only last night and thought it could be a useful tool for my continuation, as i enjoyed the course sooooo much
i have lots of recordings from the course and have ordered a book. i am intigued by mindful writing, as mentioned by another member. can you tell me a bit more about this? i have kept a diary, but am frightened writing in it will get me back into spiraling things out of control in my head again!
love to hear from anyone!

Gareth
Site Admin

Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:39 am  

Hi to you all, and welcome!

I'm intrigued as to what it is that makes you put meditation aside when you do. It's a subject that fascinates me.

jan

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:38 pm  

are you referring to the writing?
when i write in my diary, it is to vent things that i am not happy about.
i use it as a tool to go over everything and to solve the issue bothering me.
perhaps you can help me to write in my diary, mindfully, without reverting to old habits?

hackneyedcliche

Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:02 am  

Habits that are easy to fall back into for me are resorting to anger when things don't go my way, losing patience because of the incompetence of others, and being overly critical in my self-analyses.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:22 pm  

Hi Jan.
Hi hackneyedcliche.
Welcome to the forum.
I'm very intrigued by the idea of mindful writing. The subject might make for a great blog, Jan.
My first thought is that writing would be mindful if it was done with awareness. When "venting" into a diary, be aware of the physical reactions that are taking place as certain words are being put down. Be aware of the very sensation of the pen on the paper and the sight of words being formed. Maybe takes a few breaths after each sentence.
Anyone else?
All best,
Jon, Hove
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

watson2182

Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:29 am  

Gareth wrote:Hi to you all, and welcome!

I'm intrigued as to what it is that makes you put meditation aside when you do. It's a subject that fascinates me.

hi welcome aboard! :)

•   Information